I Hate Mountains Forums

I Hate Mountains, the free Left 4 Dead campaign official website. Download the campaign, discuss in the forums and access a lot of goodies.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

At the time I'm writing this, it's been way over a year since any meaningful content was posted to this forum. Also, the last and final version of I Hate Mountains was released almost three years ago. Which is why I believe it is time to definitely pull the plug on this forum which is going to remain in a readonly format from now on.

A warm 'thank you' to everyone that contributed to this project in a way or another! If you really need to contact the team, feel free to shoot us an email, our contact information is right here : http://www.ihatemountains.com/contact-us/
– The I Hate Mountains Team

#1 2010-06-05 20:28:01

Dirka_Dirka

Crashy Crash Crash

I couldn't even get the game to play until I did a snd_rebuildaudiocache - crashes in the intro. I've seen the rebuild audio issue, but not crashing because of it.

Played the first level and it was rather impressive, but then it crashed again loading up the 2nd level.

Tried running it from local dedicated server and got disconnected loading 2nd map. Connecting again and I got the string table dictionary differs error.. sigh.

Tried to do a stringtabledictionary command and I got ANOTHER error.. "Can't recreate dictionary for maps/l4d_ihm01_forest.bsp, file must be writable (checked out of perforce)!!!"

This is a new one to me. NEVER seen that.

Was finally able to play the second map by reinstalling it and connecting to a remote dedicated server.

Hope I can play the rest of the maps..

#2 2010-06-05 21:19:34

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Re: Crashy Crash Crash

You most likely got a corrupted download, that's all I can think of reading about all these rather unlinked issues.

#3 2010-06-06 21:10:43

Dirka_Dirka

no, thats not it at all. except for (and possibly because of) the first crashing issue due to snd_rebuildaudio requirement, the rest of the first post is related to the stringtabledictionary.

the issue with stringtabledictionary not being writable, is as i said a first (and ive played practically every custom campaign out there). anyway..

i finally managed to play it by deleting the file, relaunching the game to "clear" anything related to it, reinstalled the EXACT SAME FILE I DELETED, and rebuilt the audio again before playing (which wasn't required as it turns out). i also installed an hlds copy of a l4d1 server and placed the same vpk on it. connecting to that server (would be the same as a remote dedicated) finally let me play past map 1.

using the hlds dedi server is better for hosting local games then the in-game local (or even the tools dedicated server install - which uses the same files).. at least for campaigns like this one which are prone to give the out of memory error (as mentioned elsewhere). it just eats up so much more space.

#4 2010-06-06 23:31:50

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Well, I can't think of any people who had this problem during the development, but it sure is strange. The StringTableDirectionary has been built before we shipped and it can't obviously be rebuilt or altered when the levels are packed into the VPK because the game would have to extract and repack the whole campaign. I can't think of anything that would cause that.

#5 2010-06-07 22:29:47

NykO18
Administrator
Website

I'm closing the topic so we can easily see what's been fixed, what won't be fixed, what can't be fixed and what is still on hold.

Board footer