I Hate Mountains Forums

I Hate Mountains, the free Left 4 Dead campaign official website. Download the campaign, discuss in the forums and access a lot of goodies.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

At the time I'm writing this, it's been way over a year since any meaningful content was posted to this forum. Also, the last and final version of I Hate Mountains was released almost three years ago. Which is why I believe it is time to definitely pull the plug on this forum which is going to remain in a readonly format from now on.

A warm 'thank you' to everyone that contributed to this project in a way or another! If you really need to contact the team, feel free to shoot us an email, our contact information is right here : http://www.ihatemountains.com/contact-us/
– The I Hate Mountains Team

#1 2010-06-10 06:48:13

placeboing

Map 4 - Bots taking a separate path from players?

I'm not sure if this can be fixed, but on map 4, at the first major path split, me and a human player took one path, while the bots took a separate path, going ENTIRELY on their own, fighting a tank, etc. It made no sense... I have never seen bots decide to play the game on their own like that.

Is this unfixable?

#2 2010-06-10 12:53:21

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Re: Map 4 - Bots taking a separate path from players?

This is definitely strange but I know why it happens.
To cut it short, Left 4 Dead isn't the best supporter of multi-paths and as we said in the "THINGS WE WON'T BE ABLE TO OR CAN'T FIX" thread, bots can act strangely around the crossings. There is not much we can do about it, but I'm still quite surprised they'd do that, it never happened to us.

#3 2010-06-10 16:06:33

Dirka_Dirka

i had this happen once.. and it was all 3 bots. the bastards set off a car alarm and while i was swamped by the spawning ci, a hunter killed me. that then caused the unusual alloc error/crash of my server for spawning too many entities.

while this map is pretty sweet in all its possible paths, it is also a source of many issues. you might have better luck breaking it up into 2 maps and when the players close the door from checkpoint 3, pick a random map to load up (4a the right path, 4b the left one).

#4 2010-06-10 17:20:03

placeboing

That'd be pretty sweet, if you just loaded a random 2nd map. The multiple paths are kinda neat, but I'd rather have a fully working, more highly detailed 4th map, than have the option to pick which way I go.

#5 2010-06-11 17:17:08

NykO18
Administrator
Website

I'd be happy to hear your suggestions about how to split a map that's fully outdoor and that was never intended to be split in two without having to rework it entirely. There is no chance of this to happen.

#6 2010-06-11 18:48:41

placeboing

Just carve it down the middle.

Just kidding.

#7 2010-06-11 19:30:24

KamiShizuka

I found that if I move a little slower when picking one of the paths, the bots will follow me just fine. If I backtrack quickly and take the other path, they won't react fast enough to follow me properly and will try to meet up after following the other path.

They definitely hang back further than the usual campaigns, possibly owing to the wide open spaces where you're still in their line-of-sight; with interiors they'll want to stick closer because they can't see you. Just conjecture, though.

I've only had the bots try to follow the opposite path once, though, and even then I ended up going to follow them. If it weren't for the fact that all three of them decided to take the road while I was in the tunnel, I would have let them slug it out, but not having backup made me go follow them down the road.

#8 2010-06-14 17:41:55

NykO18
Administrator
Website

As this is an engine limitation that was partially addressed in Left 4 Dead 2, there's nothing more we can do about it in the 1.1 version. I'm closing this to keep track of what's left to do.

#9 2010-06-17 19:47:16

NykO18
Administrator
Website

We finally tried a few things that could help.
It will be available from the future 1.2 version.

Board footer